FEATURES,: ONE YEAR IN OFFICE: Asekutu Applauds Okowa, Tompolo, Ijaw, Itsekiri leaders, others for Support

___ Says I believe what is good for Ijaw is good for Itsekiri


Ahead of the first anniversary of his emergence as the first executive chairman of Warri North Local Government Council of Ijaw extraction, Hon. Smart Yemi Asekutu, has showered encomiums on Gov. Ifeanyi Okowa, High Chief Government Ekpemupolo (aka Tompolo), Ijaw and Itsekiri leaders for their support and immeasurable contributions to the enduring peace in the Local Government Area.

Asekutu who stated this while fielding questions from newsmen in in Sapele on Monday January 24, ahead of the anniversary of his first successful year in office, said that he owed it a duty to thank Gov. Ifeanyi Okowa for his continued support in ensuring that there is peace and progress in Warri North Council Area in the past one year.

According to him, the Governor has been very supportive of his administration in the Council, adding that right from day one, he (governor) reposed confidence in him, hence he recommended him to the people of the Local Government Area.

“I owe my success in the Council to His Excellency, Senator Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa. From the beginning, the Governor trusted me. And today, the people are convinced. He has been very supportive of me and it is my prayer that I’ll not disappoint him as I also vowed not to disappoint the people.

“For supporting an Ijaw man to become the executive chairman of Warri North Local Government Area for the first time, Governor Ifeanyi Okowa has done very well and I will continue to appreciate him.

“Governor Okowa has shown so much interest in the welfare of the people of Warri North and he will not hesitate to give to us whatever we ask from him. This is why I keep talking to our people to drop the process of violence in demanding whatever they want.

“Okowa is a listening governor and he does not take side with what is wrong. And if we must continue to get the support of the governor, we must not come with threat or by giving ultimatum”, Asekutu said.

The Tsekelewu-born chairman of the Council also showered encomium on High Chief Government Ekpemupolo (aka Tompolo) who he described as a peace maker, a bridge-builder, compassionate leader and a man of truth.

Asekutu recalled how Tompolo intervened to restore peace in the waterways when a notorious armed bandit and kidnapper, MK, held the Council Area hostage, killing, maiming and kidnapping people for ransome.

According to the Council chairman, although Tompolo is not from Warri North, but he mobilized his security vigilante team who successfully captured MK and his notorious gang, adding that since then, the area has been very peaceful.

“I’m a beneficiary of his good works and I want to say, thank you, Tompolo. Continue to maintain the spirit of peace in the area. I know that very many people know of his good works. This is the true testimony of the original struggle which he was fighting for.

“I am saying here that Tompolo’s representation in this area is very positive. And with him, we will always have peace.

“You will recall that recently, the military imposed curfew in the area because of the activities of a notorious armed bandit, MK. His action led to the killing of some gallant civil defence personnel. But with the collective effort of the Council, the military men and Tompolo, all of those things did not see the light of the day. Tompolo led a kind of movement and they were able to curtail and arrest the outlaw, MK. Today, the waterway is free for everybody.

“Tompolo deserves our commendation and I’m commending him for assisting us in the past one year. And I’m pleading with him to continue to lend us his hand of partnership to work for peace in the area as we also need peace to deliver our promises.

On the cooperation he has so far received from the Ijaw and Itsekiri people of Warri North, Asekutu counted himself as a very lucky man, adding that although there were worries because of the way he emerged as the Council chairman, the fears of some of the leaders have been laid to rest and they are confident and very happy because he consults widely and secure the views of most leaders from among the Itsekiris and Ijaws in the Local Government Area and carry out what is good for the Local Government Area.

According to him, he believes that the needs of the Itsekiris and the Ijaws in the Local Government Area are the same, adding that what is good for the Itsekiris is good for the Ijaws and what is good for the Ijaws is also good for the Itsekiris.

Asekutu also disclosed that he has been in constant consultation with different leaders from the two ethnic tribes that inhabit the Local Government, stating that very many of them have been very supportive and are working towards overall peace and development of the area.

He said: “To be very honest, I count myself so lucky. There were worries, there were expectations because of the nature of my emergence as the chairman of the Council and because of the way things were being carried out in that Council. However, today, my emergence is divine. God gave me this position. Today, the fears of some of the leaders have been laid to rest. They are very happy with what is going on. I consult with leaders, I reason with the leaders and so, today, they are very confident that I’m out to do what is good for the Local Government. Today, most of the leaders from both sides are with me.

“Past chairman of the Council like Chief Otimeyin Adams, Hon. Michael Diden (aka Ejele) and Hon. Godwin Ebosa have all be very supportive to me. They know a lot about the Council. And so, I don’t hesitate to go to them each time I have a challenge in the Council. So, the support base of these people is something I will continue to testify of. They have been doing well with me for the past one year and I should be thanking them.

“I pray not to disappoint the people. And I also pray that they continue to give me their support because I really want to ensure that Ijaw and Itsekiri always live to realize that what is good for the Ijaw is good for the Itsekiri and what is good for the Itsekiri is also good for the Ijaws. And going by the way nature has placed us in the Local Government Area where, if you drive past one Ijaw community, the next community is Itsekiri and vice versa, so our needs are the same.

So, the leaders are not only happy with me, they are ready to ensure that I don’t make mistakes.”

To comment on the success of the administration of Hon. Asekutu in Warri North Local Government Area in the past one year, a notable Itsekiri leader, Chief Gbaragada, who spoke to our correspondent on phone, disclosed that the Council chairman has not done badly in the past one year.

He said: “I cannot say he is doing bad. As far as I know, I don’t think he is doing badly. He has not been discriminatory between the Ijaws and Itsekiris in the area. So, I cannot say he is doing bad at all.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tragedy: Reckless driver kills Supervisor Councilor's wife, four others hospitalized

Agbarho Kingdom Palace Sets Ablaze By Unknown Arsonists

AGAS: A HIGHLY DETRIBALIZED POLITICIAN - Ayemidejor